Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic School has been a fixture in the Santa Clarita Valley for more than 50 years.
In 1954 plans for a Catholic school in the Santa Clarita Valley were initiated with the addition of Father Henry J. Banks to the Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish. In 1958, Father Banks purchased 10 acres of property on Lyons Avenue. The Archdiocese approved plans in 1960 to build a church, hall, and four rooms with a faculty room and restroom facilities for up to eight classrooms. This immense project was concluded in 1961.
When the Our Lady of Perpetual Help School opened in September 1962, with grades one through four, Sister Mary of the Sisters of Mercy was assigned as principal, and Mrs. Ethel Morris was a lay teacher who taught two grade levels each. As the student population grew, more staff members were added. An expansion of four more classrooms and an auditorium were completed at the school in 1964.
In 1974, Our Lady of Perpetual Help School wished a fond farewell to the Sisters of Mercy as three Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate Conception came to take their place. These three religious sisters joined six lay teachers to comprise the teaching faculty. In 1976, a library was established.
In 1988, a kindergarten class was added. In 1992, north of the auditorium, a separate kindergarten facility was built, along with several new conference rooms. In 1990, plans were finalized to add a technology lab to Our Lady of Perpetual Help School. In 1998, an afterschool program was established.
At the conclusion of the 2007-2008 school year, the Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate Conception left the school to pursue other callings. The school’s first lay principal was hired in 2008 along with a staff consisting entirely of lay teachers.