What Students Learn in Fifth Grade
This is a year when students prepare for the independence of middle school while learning new and recurring concepts, coupled with the value of note taking and basic MLA format. Throughout the course of the year, fifth-graders will explore the following:
Students cover select readings using the Journeys series, and they practice close-reading skills to work on main idea analysis, comprehension and annotation. The spelling and vocabulary largely come from novel studies, and students supplement this with Wordly Wise lessons. Fifth-graders continue to build on their knowledge of grammar by using Easy Grammar. Writing occurs across the curriculum, and each month, students learn a new type of poem.
Fifth-grade students use the enVision Math Common Core series to cover place value, multiplying and dividing whole numbers and decimals, fractions, and order of operations, as well as basic algebraic expressions and geometry.
Students use McGraw Hill’s Impact series for an interactive experience learning about the exploration of the New World, the founding of the United States and westward expansion.
Fifth-graders explore and investigate the Earth’s major systems and interactions, matter, space and the planets through McGraw Hill’s Inspire series with hands-on inquiries, real-life scenarios and videos.
Students grow in their faith and learn in greater detail about the seven sacraments, symbols of the sacraments and related Scripture.
Personal Supplies (labeled with your child’s name):
- 1 composition notebook
- 2 graph paper notebooks
- 1 multi-subject notebook (5-subject, college-lined) OR 5 single-subject notebooks (college-lined)
- 3 double-pocket folders
- Colored pencils (24-count)
- Pencils (mechanical with extra lead or pack of regular pencils)
- Erasers (1 pack)
- Hand-held sharpener
- 3 blue or black pens
- 3 highlighters
- 2 pens (pink, green, purple, orange, red, ect.)
- 2 black Sharpies (fine tip)
- Correction tape (white-out tape)
- 1 ruler
- Flashcards (1-2 packs)
- 1 mini-stapler
- 1 small pack pop-up Post-It notes (optional – for student reminders)
- 1 pencil case/pouch
- Headphones with USB (for computer class)
Class Supplies (community use):
- 2 rolls paper towels
- 3 boxes Kleenex
- Clorox wipes (2 cylinders)
- Baby wipes (3 packages)
- 1 box sandwich bags or snack bags
- 1 ream colored paper (any color)
- 1 set Expo dry erase markers (any color)
- 1 bottle glue
- 2 glue sticks
- 1 set chalk pastels
Art Class Supplies:
- Watercolor paint set
- Plastic cup
- Black fine-point felt-tip pen
- Black Sharpie
Each student should bring one or more reams of 500 sheets or more of white copy paper for the school office labeled with his or her name.