Parent involvement is an important part of the Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic School community. Room parents play a vital role in the classroom, working closely with the teachers to communicate and organize parent participation for a range of classroom activities. All teachers run their classrooms differently, but most teachers ask for one to two parents per classroom to volunteer as room parents. If you would like to have fun working with your child’s teacher and fellow parents — then volunteer to become a room parent!
- Attend the monthly PTO meetings and relay pertinent information to parents.
- Post sign-up sheets/send email notices for activities, class parties and school events, as needed.
- Assist teachers with class parties for special occasions, as needed.
- Collect and manage funds used to purchase gifts for teachers, etc.
- Help coordinate and procure donations for the classroom auction/raffle basket for the annual Gala.
- Meet with your teacher as soon as possible. (Bring your calendar!)
- Discuss expectations and ideas for the school year.
- Get party dates and ideas of what will be expected at parties.
- Get a schedule of dates/times when volunteers will be needed and whether it is inside/outside the classroom (i.e., centers, making copies, laminating, computer lab, library and book fair).
- Find out the preferred method of contact for the teacher and let them know the best way to reach you.
- Write an email/letter introducing yourself to the class, and tell the parents how and when they should expect communications from you.
- Your teacher should have completed the “Tell Us About Yourself” teacher profile form. The PTO room parent coordinator will provide you a copy of this form.